St.  Anthony's  HISTORY   BY  DECADES  
 

1933 in History    Herbert Hoover turns over the presidency to Franklin D. Roosevelt on March 4; the 20th Amendment is passed, changing the inauguration date to January 20; Golden Gate Bridge construction begins; the Lone Ranger hits the radio waves; the first singing telegram is sent by the New York City Postal Telegraph Company; King Kong is the biggest movie of the year; as the Secretary of Labor, Frances Perkins becomes the first woman to hold a presidential cabinet office; the first drive-in theater opens; the 21st Amendment officially repeals prohibition. This year signals the beginning of the end of the Great Depression.

       
 

1933 at St. Anthony’s    Assistant priests are Rev. Louis Yeager and Rev. George Lavelle. Msgr. Kaul had celebrated his 60th jubilee in 1929, the same year that extensive renovations were made to the church. This was the occasion when he made his well-known speech that ended in the words, “I am so glad you are all willing to love me. I am willing to love all of you.” By 1933 the cataracts that plagued him for so many years have robbed him of most of his sight. He makes his last public appearance on October 18, 1933, when he attends the Golden Jubilee Celebration of the opening of St. Joseph’s hospital. As previously noted, Msgr. Kaul had a special interest in St. Joseph’s Hospital. Meanwhile, parishioners are busy in the various clubs and organizations sponsored by the parish. Members of the Catholic Club and St. Rita’s Club put on a number of Minstrel Shows. Students from Sacred Heart Academy also use the auditorium, and on November 22, 1933 present a play called Knave of Hearts featuring six young women of the parish.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Rt. Rev. Msgr. Anthony F. Kaul

Pastor, St. Anthony of Padua Church, 1870–1934

 
   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The cast of a 1933 "Minstrel Show"

Only these parishioners are identified: kneeling, far right: Anne Bradshaw

standing, second from right: Catherine Bradhsaw

 

 

1943 in History    Franklin D. Roosevelt is President; the nation is in the midst of World War II; FDR becomes the first President to travel by airplane when he makes a trip from Miami to Morocco to meet with Churchill about the progress of the war; the Pentagon is dedicated; the Battle of Guadalcanal is fought; General Dwight D. Eisenhower becomes commander of the Allied Forces; shoe rationing is begun; the Jefferson Memorial is dedicated; Duke Ellington makes his appearance at Carnegie Hall; the Howard Hughes movie The Outlaw opens and is pulled because of censorship within one week; Oklahoma opens on Broadway.

         
   

1943 at St. Anthony’s    Rev. Herman Gies is the third pastor since Msgr. Kaul’s death in 1935 at the age of 89. The first was auxiliary Bishop George L. Leech whose pastorship lasted less than one month. On November 11, Bishop McDevitt died and Bishop Leech was appointed to the office. Rev. Louis Yeager, who had been an assistant to Monsignor Kaul, takes over as pastor until Father Gies is appointed on February 6, 1936. Assistant priest is Rev. Rudolph Fuhr. By 1943, Father Gies has instituted many changes in the church: a quarterly is printed entitled “Our Parish Interests” (several of these still exist in the archives). In this is listed the names of contributors to the collection and the amounts they give; a new pavement is installed in front of the church; Bingo games are in full swing; a new organ is purchased for the church from the Pergola Theatre in Allentown, with pipework and installation by Sebastian Gundling; lists of young parishioners who have died in the war are posted in the lobby of the church; on February 7 the music department of Sacred Heart Academy presents a Piano Ensemble and Glee Club production with the sponsorship of many St. Anthony patrons; on May 10, SHA uses the St. Anthony school auditorium for the plays, In a Flower Garden, and Ichabod Crane, with young ladies playing all the parts, including the men.

 

 
       

Rev. Herman Gies

Pastor, St. Anthony of Padua, 1936–1945

   

 

 

 

 

 

 

The present-day organ case of the c. 1915 three-manual

Anton Gottfried organ purchased from the Pergola Theatre, Allentown, Pa. Enclosed in the case are some 2159 speaking pipes in 34 ranks, a set of tubular chimes, and an organ harp. The pipes shown in the picture are decorative non-speaking pipes. The Gottfried organ replaced the church's original organ, a Heilner & Schumacher of Baltimore, which provided liturgical music from 1875–1939. Photo credit: Donald-Duck, http://www.trivago.co.uk

 

1953 in History    Harry S. Truman is President until Dwight D. Eisenhower takes office on January 20, 1953; Truman announces the existence of the first hydrogen bomb; the Robertson Panel meets to discuss the UFO phenomenon; the Korean War ends; Dr. Jonas Salk tests his new polio vaccine on his family and himself; Queen Elizabeth II is crowned; the first James Bond novel is published by Ian Fleming; Arthur Miller’s The Crucible opens on Broadway; the 25th annual Academy Awards are presented on television for the first time; the first Chevrolet Corvette is manufactured in Flint, Michigan; Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay scale Mt. Everest; the animated film, Peter Pan opens. Gas is 20 cents a gallon, transistor radios are being sold, and the first color televisions are selling for $1,175.00.

 

1953 at St. Anthony's    Pastor Rev. Robert Hartnett takes over a church that has been completely transformed and renovated by his predecessor Rev. Paul Gieringer. Assistant priests in 1953 are Rev. James Coyle and Rev. Mercurio Fregapane; parish cemetery custodian of many years Herman Goldbach has died; Fr. Hartnett is suffering from cataracts, similar to Msgr. Kaul; included in the fifteen-member graduating class of Sacred Heart Academy is parishioner Dorothy Linton, who will become Sr. John Anthony, CSC.

 

The upper church as it appeared following the 1950 renovation.

 

Rev. Robert Hartnett

1953 St. Anthony of Padua Pastor

 

 

©  2013  St. Anthony of Padua Church. All Rights Reserved