St.  Anthony's  HISTORY   BY  DECADES  
 

1874 in History    Ulysses S. Grant is President, Vice President is Henry Wilson, and Speaker of the House is James G(illespie) Blaine, who is the cousin of the former Eliza Gillespie—known to the Sisters of the Holy Cross as Mother Angela, superior of St. Mary’s Academy in Indiana. On the world scene, New York City annexes the Bronx; the game of lawn tennis is patented by Walter Wingfield under the name, “sphairistrike;” Hawaii signs a treaty with the US granting exclusive trading rights; Levi Strauss and Jack Davis receive US patents for jeans with copper rivets, selling at $13.50 a dozen; the Philadelphia Zoo opens as the first public zoo in the US; E.T. Gerry founds the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children in New York; Thomas Nast uses the elephant to symbolize the Republican party in Harper’s Weekly, and Syracuse University welcomes the first Greek sorority—Gamma Phi Beta. Mary Outerbridge, while vacationing in Bermuda, watches English officers play tennis and introduces the game to America.

 

Rev. Anthony F. Kaul, 1879, 33 years of age.

 

1874 at St. Anthony's   Fund drives are the order of the day. The church itself is nearly finished, but the mortgage will not be met until 1895. This means that St. Anthony church can be dedicated but cannot be consecrated until the debt is fully paid. The people of the parish are working hard to raise the money and a Centennial Tea Party is held on April 6, 1874 in Grant Hall on Duke Street, to the rear of the courthouse. Ladies of the parish preside at different tea tables and wear costumes from France, Germany, Ireland, and the USA. Admission price includes tea and finger foods at any table, plus the cup and saucer to take home. Music is provided by Ferdinand Weber, the Maennerchor chorus, and is sponsored by the Clemmens Bank.

    Hoping for the same success as the Centennial Party, the parish sponsors another fund-raiser on November 25, this one to be held at Springer Excelsior Hall on Grant Street. It is called the Bazaar of Nations. This event lasts a week and includes not only refreshments but articles for sale and humorous readings. Net proceeds are $1,800.00; however, the event is not without its problems. Some young jokesters—called “scurvy fellows” by the press—manage to spread red pepper all over the floor, with predicted results. Fr. Kaul is not amused.

    An ad appears in the Lancaster Daily Express of September 5, 1874, about the Academy of the Sacred Heart, which began as a conservatory across the street from the church at 518 E. Orange Street in 1873. Fr. Kaul’s sister, Sr. Stanislaus, taught music there and the school has since become an institute of higher learning for young ladies under the direction of the Sisters of the Holy Cross. Music, fine arts, English, French, and German are taught to boarding and day students. Having outgrown the space on Orange Street, the Academy is at this time located in a building rented from Sarah Rogers by Fr. Kaul at 416 East King Street (now the site of Charles F. Snyder Funeral Home).

 

St. Anthony of Padua church, 1874. The rec-tory has not yet been built; note the fence in the front of the building and that the clock has not yet been installed in the tower.

 

 

 

1884 in History    Chester A. Arthur is President; the Federation of Organized Trades and Labor Unions proclaims an 8-hour workday on May 1, then called Labour Day. Harry Truman is born on May 8; on August 5 the cornerstone for the Statue of Liberty is laid on Bedloe Island in the New York harbor; the Greenwich meridian is fixed as the world’s prime meridian in October; the Oxford English Dictionary begins publication; Grover Cleveland defeats James G. Blaine for the US Presidency (the aforementioned Blaine ran unsuccess-fully for President three times). The Washington Monument is completed on November 11; Mark Twain writes Huckleberry Finn.

 

 

Known as "Fulton Hall" in 1884, we recognize the North Prince Street Structure today as the Fulton Operation House.

1884 at St. Anthony's   When Sacred Heart Academy (see picture at 1913 at St. Anthony's) was built in 1877 (at the cost of $30,000.00) the parish then had a recreation room, an auditorium, and a music room in which to hold events. Since Fr. Kaul had financed the building of the academy, there was a close connection between the Academy and St. Anthony church. Until the completion of this building commencement exercises for Sacred Heart Academy were often held at Fulton Hall on Prince Street.

    On June 24, 1884, the academys commencement exercises are held in St. Joseph’s Room in the main hall of the academy. To honor Bishop Shanahan, who presides at the ceremony, the girls present him with a beautiful prie-dieu (kneeler) of purple velvet for his 25th anniversary; valedictorian for the class is Mary E. Gorman. The rest of the class consists of Kate Kenhard, Clare R. Schaubel, Mary A. Kirby, Bertha Amer, Margarette Slaymaker, Mary Kemp, and Kate Quinn.

    The parish is still struggling to pay the debt on the building of the church and Fr. Kaul establishes a Debt Fund for the parish. Anyone who contributes $30.00 or more becomes a full member and his name is placed on record as a Perpetual Benefactor. In the next ten years, $15,500 is received this way. There are also other fundraisers. On June 24 St. Anthony Parish Sodality sponsors a picnic at a very popular place on the Conestoga Creek known as Tell’s Hain. These picnics have been known to bring in as much as $300.00 for the church. The old tavern building can still be seen along the west bank of the Conestoga Creek on Conestoga Drive less than a mile from Rte. 30 at Bridgeport. It has been altered, but the basic structure remains. It contained a ballroom and an indoor “garden” where a variety of refreshments were available. There was a door on the ground level for carriages and their horses to be parked. The upper floor was used for dancing. The extensive grounds hosted many picnics for the parish. On this occasion, music for dancing is provided by Taylor’s Orchestra.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Find this structure today along the west bank of the Conestoga River at Bridgeport. "Tell's Hain" was the site of parish social events. Carriages entered the arch at the far right of the structure.

 

 

1894 in History    This period is called the Gilded Age, the Gay 90’s or the Progressive Era. Grover Cleveland is still President; Adlai Stevenson is Vice President; Thomas Edison’s kinetoscope is given its first public showing, introducing the first moving picture; Coca-Cola is sold in bottles for the first time; a fire at the World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago destroys most of the remaining buildings; West Palm Beach is organized as a city; in New York City 12,000 tailors go on strike against sweatshop working conditions; Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Book is published; on September 1, Boston Corbett—the Union Army soldier who shot and killed John Wilkes Booth—dies.

 

 

Rev. Anthony F. Kaul, 1894, 48 years of age.

 

1894 at St. Anthony's   Rev. James Sass is Fr. Kaul’s 11th assistant since 1876. With the end of the church debt in sight, Fr. Kaul announces the first plans for the erection of an Institute Building between the church and the parochial residence, east of the church. The architect is to be Edwin Durang, who also designed the church. There will be a basement gym, first floor classrooms, second floor library and meeting rooms, and a third floor stage and auditorium. Fr. Kaul’s motivation is to “keep young people off the streets.”

    Plans are also discussed for building a Catholic church in Quarryville, to be called St. Catherine of Siena. Prominent parishioner and attorney David F. Magee is to solicit subscriptions to fund the church. The church is to be a mission of St. Anthony parish for a few years after it is built, until a permanent priest is secured in Quarryville.

    Fr. Kaul’s 25th Jubilee as a priest is celebrated in the parish. Bishop Thomas McGovern and 65 other priests attend the banquet which is hosted by Fr. Kaul’s mother Magdalena Kaul. The event is held at Sacred Heart Academy. Jubilee cigars are distributed, as provided by J. Albright and Brothers.

    From Fr. Kaul’s account book: to Lancaster Planing Mill for installation of side pews: $350.00; to Stiffel and Freeman for one safe for the rectory: $73.00; to C.H. Reynolds for painting the exterior of the church and rectory: $275.00

 

 

 

Celebrants, church dignitaries, and participants in the 25th Jubilee of Rev. Anthony F. Kaul on Wednesday, June 13, 1894. Pictured center, top, wearing miter is Bishop Thomas F. McGovern, D.D. Fr. Kaul is standing one step down and to the left of the bishop. Members of the Knights of St. John flank left and right. The cross-bearer is William J. Henrich; the "little pope" is Frank Goldbach (front left lower corner).

 

©  2014  St. Anthony of Padua Church. All Rights Reserved